Tuesday, January 16, 2007

first day of school

Don't you just love the first day of school. new classes, new people for the most part new learning experiences. it is so fun. I love buying new school supplies. maybe that is why i want to be a teacher.

Today was fun. I worked which is always fun. then i had my first class of Orchestration. In case you are wondering what this is, it is a class on how to arrange music for different instrumentation. it is going to be interesting. I already got homework for that.

As i was standing in line to get lunch (45 min.) there was 3 girls standing in front of me. they were just talking non-stop about Anime. This was so interesting to me because i know oh so little about Anime. Then i got to thinking of how as humans we create these little worlds of interest. they all have their own language for things and stories. I think it is cool. What i mean is, have you ever talked with a group of people and they start in talking and really getting into a subject like video games, music, anime, sports, ect. Take guys and video games. I am getting a little glimpse of that world. When my guy friends start talking about video games i have no clue what they are talking about because i am not really apart of the gaming world. I am always amazed about how little i know about the world and how much i really want to know.

Then after my wonderful lunch of Chicken tortilla soup from spoons, I went to orchestra. I was at first happy to see that I was still 5th chair but then I found out that because we got 3 new cellist that everyone chairs are pending. but at least we have 8 cellos again and we are all very good. It is exciting to have new talent that can make our section strong. I think I am going to practice more this semester for all my ensembles. but my true preference in ensembles is my quartet that i am in. the ACME string quartet. it is so fun to play with your friends and really all share a liking for the music. we are a team. orchestra was ok. we still have a ways to go but the opera that we are doing is going to be cool. 80 players on stage as well as guest opera singers. it is going to be a massive event.

I got my music for steel band tomorrow. I am excited to start playing again. the music sounds very cool. My teacher Don, has invited a very famous composer of steel band music and player to come play with us and play his music. it is going to be so fun. His name is Ray Holman. this semester we also get to go to a high school in Brighton to play a concert with them. that is going to be fun to be able to play with other steel band people.

I am also excited about a quartet that I found out about today. Today The Pacifica Quartet was playing at the UCA tonight. I looked them up and i found out that they actually did a recording of the Mendelssohn quartet that i played last semester. we had look all over to hear that and i found it today. it was very nice to hear professionals play those pieces.

On my floor we got a new RA (Resident assistant). her name is Johanna or Jojo or MoJo. well i was having dinner with her, another new RA here at the dorm i live at and my friend Chue. well funny thing happened as i was trying to drink my water. i accidentally sprayed water all over my new RA. I had taken a drink of my water and i started to cough or choking and the water all sprayed out all over her and her food. I was so embarrassed. she was laughing at me as well as the other people around. after many apologies and a lot of laughing we came back to the hall.

Starting since Sunday has been a star wars marathon at my residence hall. It has been fun watching all the star wars movies. we watched Episode IV A new Hope tonight. it would have been better if i was not so tired and not feeling very good. i think my cold is returning. well good night after a very long day.~Manda Panda

No comments: