Saturday, May 05, 2007

the Yellow brick road of life

Taking for granted
It seems through life that at some point we wonder what our propose is here. I have not an answer to this but it is important to cherish all the little things in life. There is just so many glorious things around you that you may take for granted.
Have you ever just do what they say and stop to smell the roses; sat in a quite room with the window open and listen to the song bird sing? How about look down on the path you are walking on and see the little Rollie pollie bugs march on by you feet or the big beautiful butterflies flutter gracefully in the sky and wonder what adventure they are off to that day? I know this sounds a bit like dribble but let me tell you, you are given a life to live. You are faced with many choices in you life and what you do with them is what can determine you to live a happy and peaceful life or not. I am guilty of taking things for granted like a friendship, love, nature. There is truly so many things in life to pay attention to really. Many seem important at the time but what are you really sacrificing? Is what you are doing really worth it?
This might sound funny but try this experiment out with me and let me know what you think. Notice some little detail about the environment you are in or people around you and see/hear/taste/feel; if you can try and find out something beautiful about it. trust me it will change at how you view things in life. Remember though don't be so quick to judge for you will miss out on the great beauty that is around you.
Self acceptance
I am no expert in self acceptance but I do find it something that one should look at. It may seem a bit self absorbing to do this, however if you find that you are in a place were you feel like you do not belong listen up. Look inside your self for you will find great power. Like my mom always told me "God does not make junk." You need to believe, love, and trust your self as well as others. You also need to be courageous. It is okay to be different. This is probably one of the harder things in life to admit to because it is only natural as humans to want to fit in and be loved basically. So we sacrifice little parts of our self here and there and mold our selves to be something that we are not. Why try to be a clone when you are a unique and beautiful person. this was a hard lesson that I learned as a small child.
I remember when I was little trying oh so hard to be like my sister Joy because I felt like I did not fit in with my family and she did. My mom and sister, who I mostly hung around, seemed to be so smart, organized and successful. They also got along so well and I would see my sister getting awards left and right for doing well in school. My sister was even in the International Baccalaureate program in high school as well as doing many other activities. So I would work so hard to try and be like them because I thought that if I was like them then I could have all of them traits too and be liked.
Well i very quickly realized that I am not like them. I am not super smart like my sis, I am not nearly as organized, and i was not very successful and really anything. I cried a lot because I was different. I did not like it. Even to this day I know I am different and it is a hard pill to swallow but I open wide and swallow that enormous bitter pill. I am not like my sister or mother who I love and look up to, I am just goofy me and I am proud to be. There are so many things that I am not and I do not know about you but I tend to focus on them bad traits which brings me down a bit. I am still learning how to be more self accepting but it is a long journey. Kind of like the never ending Yellow brick road on wizard of OZ. It seems to never end and you are faced with challenges, set backs and decisions but then at the end of the path is your goal, Happiness. So go forth and reach the end to your path. Life is short so live it.

-Manda Panda

No comments: