Thursday, May 24, 2007

it is Amazing

It is just amazing how busy your life can be when you are helping out your family.

Now that I have been off from school I have been trying to look for a Job but I have not really had the opportunity to. I have Been busy with my family. From family vacations to baby sitting my godson and Isabel to helping out with my grandparents it seems like I am always doing something.


But I love helping out my family and making their day just a bit better. Yesterday I got to help take care of my grandparents who really need the help. My grandma is still sick with her hip and wrist but is at home now and is in need of help. My poor Grandpa tries his best to help my Grandma as best as he could but is having trouble going out to get groceries and stuff like that because he fears that my Grandma will fall and hurt her self again.


So yesterday I drove him to the bank and the grocery store while my Mom stayed with my Grandma. It was so much fun getting to go shopping with my Grandpa. He let me drive his big truck and he started to tell me stories about how he would drive, when he was little, on his horse to towns that were from Thornton to as far as Castle Rock and back to go get his mom 50 lbs of sugar so that she could can the fruit from their orchard that was on their ranch in Las Vegas New Mexico, on Canyon Larga. he was telling me how his mom would let him help her make bread in the outdoor oven (horno) or when he would have to milk

the cows and his mom would make cheese and he would have to go on horseback to sell the cheese.

It is so different when I hear stories of my Grandparents childhood and compare it to the experiences that I have had. They did not have electricity, washing machines/dryers, electric stoves, computers, phones in their house, TV, fast food places or cars when they were kids growing up on the farms. They worked and did some school, but mostly worked and helped their parents. Then you fast forward to now where I consider my self to be very privileged. I do not have to worry about having Rattle snakes in my house or being cold because the fire in the stove went out. I do not live in an Adobe house that my parents made like my Grandparents did and their parents before them. It is interesting to think about how much has changed since my grandparents were young and how much things have not. family, religion, working hard, culture are all things that are Central to how my mom's side of the family works. These are things that have not changed much. I don't know what do you think?

No comments: