Wednesday, May 02, 2007

a walk in my moccasins-A refection

Hello all. Well School is winding down to an end. This is the last week before finals also known as Dead week. Not too long ago I was writing my scholarship renewal essay for my First generation Scholarship. This has gotten me to think about my experiences in life and made me realise how lucky I am to actually be here and to be able to experience so many things in my life.

Not many people know who I truly am. This is partly because I am afraid of what they will think of me. But I am not afraid any more. I have discovered that by sharing who I am not only makes me a confident person but gives others a chance to learn from my experiences too. So I want to let you take a walk in my moccasins.

Every person has a unique life story. Some are happy, some are sad. Mine is a little of both. People know I am a Music Ed student at CSU and that I play the cello and I love to knit and sew and dance and sing and watch movies. I am apparently know for my smile because that is what I do a lot and that I am happy most of the time. These are only thing that I allow people to see, some sort of mask that I have developed. Yes theses are things are still apart of me but it is not really who I am.

I am Amanda and I am 21 non drinker and non smoker. I have an Amazing mother, a father who is disabled for 21 years now and who is a true insperation and an older sister who I absolutely love and wish that I could be as good as her. I have 2 cute cats, named Hannah and Daisy Mae. I am a proud Catholic. In both sides of my family I am the only one who is actually going to college for music. I hope to change this fact. I have some family members who sing or play guitar but never had hard core training-they mostly sing Mexican music or play in a rock band.

Mexican music is part of my Heritage. I grew up with my Grandpo (on my mom's side) playing his guitar to us grand kids singing Mexican music and him telling us stories some of them of when he was a kid Growing up in New Mexico on his families cattle ranch or old Mexican folk tales. they would be in Spanglish of course. My Grandparents on my mom's side did not go very far in school because they have always worked. My Grandpa went up to the 6th grade i think and my Grandma only the 3rd grade. Hard to believe this but they did and they worked as migrant field workers and odd jobs here and there all their lives up and down Colorado and New Mexico. As i was growing up my Grandma worked at a Nursing home as a CNA and my Grandpa was retired from King Soopers. I did not really know my Grandparents on my fathers side. My Grandma Vicki died when I was 2 and my Grandpa Tony was not in the picture and died when I was 8 or 9 I think. I am mostly close with my mom's side of the family.

So I am a first generation Student here at CSU. both of my parents went as far as High School and it was a big deal for them to graduate and make it that far. Now I get a chance to be apart of the first generation to go to college and graduate. If it was not for my Mother who would tell my sister and I that we need to go to college and get that degree I do not know where I would have ended up at. In the 4 years that I have been here, I have meet some wonderful and not so wonderful people but mostly wonderful. I have gotten to see the beginnings of a great incoming conductor named Wes Kenny. He started here my freshman year and man was the orchestra not at the level it is now. I have got to see world class musicians play and those who are working diligently to master their instruments. I got to play on Museum piece instruments, conduct an orchestra and band. I have gotten to see my dream come true and getting to teach something that I love to others and share the Joy and power that music has with them. Every day I am here I work hard just so that I can be happy and soak up as much information that I can so that I can carve my way through life.

well I think that sums me up for the most part. Thank you if you have read this note of mine. I just had get out of my box of an image I have created and writing is the best way I know how to fill that box. I hope all of you have the best of luck with finals have a nice day.

No comments: