Thursday, August 16, 2007

Move in day-venting-it is long sorry...

Oh my gosh. I would have to say that today has been by far the Craziest day! Today we (when I say we I mean O-team), had to check in a lot of people here at m residence hall. I think we checked in close to 300 students today if not more. We did have a few road blocks (like wrong keys issued out) but overall I think that my O-team and other staff did an awesome job at making this crazy move in day a bit smoother.

I think this whole week I have felt so overwhelmed and out of my element. But I am going to have to say the best part of the week was last night when a lot of the RA's as well as a few of my friends that are on O-team had a dance party. It was very nice to get a chance to be my self and have some fun. I felt like I have been having to be an Information booth and I am not really use to that. Even when I am in the classroom it is not as stressful as this week has been believe it or not.
I am just glad it is over! I must say even though this experience has been difficult for me to handle, I am so glad that I have had such a wonderful support system with My boss, the Resident Director and the Hall Director, the RA's , my friends who work at the front desk and all 13 other people from O-team. I think that I would have cracked if they had not been so encouraging and helpful.
Okay I have been doing O-team for the last four years, last year I was Co-President and I never have been so stressed out before. But of course this is my first year that I call the shots, which is an extremely rare occasion in my life being the youngest in my very loving family. Last year I was Co-President because I was volunteered by the co-chair one day for my ability to be creative. So I was mostly in charge of coming up with ideas to decorate the lobby. I had no idea what all my old co-chair did. This year I had a Co-President because I was training her to take over the President spot for next year and I made sure to involve her in as much as I could. And we are leaving a paper trail for the future O-team people who have no clue what is going on. I think she is going to be amazing at being president next year and I hope she has someone next year who will be just as wonderful as she is to help her out.

I loved how involved the RA's got with the O-team and Desk staff this past week. In the 4 years of doing this I have never had so much interaction with the RA's during the week O-team is around. Yes we would meet the RA's but I think this year I really got to know a lot of them a lot better than I have in the past. Team building works wonders.

I am just happy it is done and I got to meet some amazing people in the past week. As for me I think I took a crash course in how to be a leader. I hope I did okay.

HA HA! I just had a funny thought. I feel like I am Doogie Howser typing away his crazy day on his computer. Sad but true I am that old already.



Well I guess I must agree with Doogie in this clip (Because he is the Man) Respect does go a long way. Night

Manda Panda

1 comment:

Joy Vigil said...

manda,
you crack me up! i'm sure you did an awesome job as a leader!! the doogie howser clip is so funny...back in the day when the computer was a blue screen!!! ha!